Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Previewing the Next Project

Listed here is a comment posted to my Facebook page from a fraternity brother and great friend, Manny. He poses a good question, and I would like to highlight the "Tom Cruise made like 6 straigh solid flicks" section because it provides a great segway to the next series to hit Sully's World.

Dude, I love that you put Minority Report in your top 10. I freaking love that movie. While I'm sure you think Spielberg makes the movie, you also have to remember this is when Tom Cruise was at the pinnacle of his career, further propelling this film's "mystique" at the time. Yet, if I were to select any film for Tom Cruise during this period (he made like 6 straight solid flicks), I HAVE to go with The Last Samurai. That movie reaches the level of mood that Minority Report has and is more badass. I'd even argue the acting (including Cruise) crushes Minority Report. It's just as rewatchable, has more interesting characters, is an awesome throwback genre crossover, and LOADED with practical effects. Only weakness in comparison is obviously Spielberg's complete command of the screen (that hug between Cruise and Morton comes to mind, which would literally be the most awkward hug ever, but looks so f*ing cool), yet Eddie Zwick is no slouch either and totally pulled that flick off to the max. Thoughts?

Manny knows his stuff, guys. The Last Samurai was a pretty awesome flick, and while it didn't quite make my Top 20 of the 2000s, he should know that I definitely mark it as one of the best films of 2003 (and 2003 was loaded with good flicks, too).

Manny and I can go back-and-forth for days about why I'd pick Minority Report and he would pick The Last Samurai; but I would like to mention that he referenced a "Tom Cruise era," and how Cruise came out with a bunch of can't-miss films in a 10-year span (if you look at his IMDb page from 1996-2005, you'll see a banner saying "Tom Cruise stars in a Billion Dollars"). Great obervation, Manny, which makes me think about my idol Bill Simmons at ESPN who got me started on this whole "Top 10 of the 2000s" in the first place. During Bill's article on the NBA offseason, he not only mentioned that Almost Famous was his pick for the greatest film of this decade, but also mentioned the following:

"If you were to have a DVD-collection draft with five buddies (and by the way, don't think I haven't done this) in which everyone picks six actors in snake fashion and you get every single movie they made on DVD, (Philip Seymour) Hoffman would be a sneaky late-first-round pick. Because you asked, my top 12 looks like this: Hanks, De Niro, Cruise, Stallone, Pacino, Douglas, Freeman, Damon, Hoffman, Costner, Hackman and Denzel. Late-round sleepers: Clancy Brown and Joe Pantoliano. Admit it, you want to make your own list."

Yes, yes I do. And the next series to hit Sully's World will be the DVD-collection draft between me and Sam Gooley. Tom Cruise is a sure-thing on my list, but other sleepers are sure to be included.

As always, I appreciate the feedback from all readers. I will attempt to reply to each comment via email, Facebook, a blog entry like this one, or, if you don't like what I write, a 3:30am phone call letting you know what I think of you. Just kidding ... kinda.

No comments:

Post a Comment