Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Back from Hiatus, and the #4 Film of the 2000s: Almost Famous Untitled Director's Cut

Ok so I decided to take a couple months off. I'm not dead; nor was I sitting on my couch twiddling my thumbs and waiting for something interesting to fall on my lap. In fact, I've experienced just the opposite. Currently there's so many things to write about - so much going on in life right now that warrents a full-blown article - that I haven't had the time to sit down and piece together a complete work on anything.

Times are a changin', and what better time to revamp Sully's World than in the middle of Bowl Season, Oscar Season, and whatever everyone else does while I'm watching a good movie/ football game while opening Christmas presents?

October 15th was the last day I posted an article. Since then, I've seen 6 movies in theatres, 6 million more after Mike Sullivan met Red Box, 8 Florida football games, the beginning of college basketball, the end of the Sullivan-Gooley DVD draft (it went well - stay tuned for results), the World Series, Golden Globe nominees, countless end-of-year/end-of-decade Top 10s, and zero vacation days from my 9-5 job (Thanksgiving doesn't count, unless you'd like to count waking up before the normal wake-up time; driving 3 hours from Raleigh to Charlotte; stuffing 6 pounds of turkey down my throat; watching Miles Austin tear apart the Washington Redskins' secondary for 7 catches and 131 yds in the first half; realizing Miles Austin is on my fantasy team, only to find out I didn't start him; not taking this realization out on my family during Thanksgiving dinner; staying awake for the 3 hour drive home; and going to bed later than the normal bed-time, only to open the doors to the bank the next morning ... yes, I work at a bank, and my vacation begins January 3rd).

We're all busy, especially this time of the year. And with that said, let's set aside some time to recap the #4 Film of the 2000s: Almost Famous Untitled Director's Cut.

To be honest, there isn't much more to say than what Bill Simmons covers in the article that inspired this Top 10 in the first place. For your reading pleasure, his 2-part article:

Part 1
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090727

Part 2
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090728

If you read Part 1, you'll notice the inspiration for the Sullivan-Gooley DVD Draft, which we chose to pick in round-robin format. If you need a format to the rules, please see the link to Part 1 of Bill Simmons' article, or my article "DVD Draft Creating Buzz" (http://sullyz-world.blogspot.com/2009/10/dvd-draft-creating-buzz.html)

#1 Tom Hanks (Sully)
#2 Dustin Hoffman (Sam)
#3 Tom Cruise (Sam)
#4 Robert De Niro (Sully)
#5 Harrison Ford (Sully)
#6 Jimmy Stewart (Sam)
#7 Jack Nicholson (Sam)
#8 Morgan Freeman (Sully)
#9 Matt Damon (Sully)
#10 Paul Newman (Sam)
#11 Al Pacino (Sam)
#12 Gene Hackman (Sully)
#13 Charlie Chaplin (Sully)
#14 Peter Sellers (Sam)
#15 Humphrey Bogart (Sam)
#16 John C. Reilly (Sully)
#17 Brad Pitt (Sully)
#18 Henry Fonda (Sam)
#19 Kevin Spacey (Sully)
#20 Clint Eastwood (Sam)

Who barely missed the cut: Leonardo DiCaprio, Denzel Washington, Phillip Seymour Hoffman (see Bill Simmons' argument for him in Part 1), Will Smith, Johnny Depp, Marlon Brando, Clint Howard, Jim Carey, Jeff Bridges, Edward Norton, and Jon Voight.

I highly encourage all readers to create their own draft. I swear, it liberates the soul. In the mean time, stay tuned for more articles coming up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment